A Bug Out Bag’s primary purpose is for emergency evacuations. The primary contents are food, water and various supplies. But one of the overlooked items are important papers and documents (or copies thereof).
In the event of your home been wiped out by fire, winds or mudslides all the contents would be partially or totally destroyed. That includes important papers and documents such as proof of identity, credentials, holdings, insurances, and other important records.
As you don’t know if your house will still be standing when you return, or when you would be able to return, there are important documentation and even photos that should be ready to be taken with you.
Nowadays a lot of important documentation are held in electronic form. You must consider the possibility of the electronic storage getting damaged or not having the means or method of reacquiring that electronic data.
Here is a list of documents that are important:
- Contact List (family, friends, doctors, banks, employers, insurances)
- Birth Certificate
- Drivers License
- Social Security Card
- Health Insurance Cards and/or Medicare, Medicaid
- Bank account details
- Prescriptions for Medications, Eyeglasses
- Record of Insurance Policies
- Marriage License
- Local and State Maps
- License To Carry Permit or relevant CCW
- A question is, “What ‘important papers and documents’ might be important to take with you?”
- It’s a good idea to keep them in a waterproof containment of sorts.
- What if’ their electronic storage is somehow damaged or unavailable? What if the means or method of reacquiring that electronic data becomes unavailable to you?
If your home has been wiped out by disaster you could lose whatever was in it, including important papers and documents such as those which prove or verify personal information of your identity, credentials, holdings, insurances, and other important records.